Dead Pixel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Abilities System

Go down 
+7
Elk
Echo
Shottymaster
Caboose
JohnPwnsYou
Blahblah677
RenKazama
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RenKazama

RenKazama

New Abilities System Empty
PostSubject: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:50 am

ABILITIES SYSTEM!

All the equipment and training in the world can’t substitute for experience. With Combat Arms’ new Abilities system, you can put your veteran experience to work on the battlefield! Simply rank up to get all the benefits of these advanced Abilities:
A Rank = Must Have
B Rank = Decent
C Rank = Better Options Available

Pitcher:A honed throwing arm allows you to control how far you throw, letting you choose exactly how hard to toss a grenade. Unlocked at the rank of Recruit (550 EXP).
"C Rank" *I've only tested this out in a few games, but it does actually prove to be effective in medium maps. Larger maps still have that problem of not hitting right where you want them, but if you prefer nades to mines, this is still a solid choice. I just ranked it "C" because I feel there exist better options.*

Specter: You’ve become more subtle and deft, allowing you to make very little noise when you move. This Ability is not in effect while sprinting. Unlocked at the rank of Private (1,200 EXP).
"A Rank" *Everyone who used to normally sound whore now needs to run Awareness because of how extremely annoying Specter is. By running it, your a pratical ninja. It's a must use for everyone, unless your playing a very small map where stealth isn't as important.*

Resourceful: When you kill an enemy player, there’s a chance they may leave behind Limited-Ammo, All-Ammo, or Recovery Items! You will have a short time to pick these up, after which they will be free for your team to recover. Unlocked at the rank of Private First Class (2,500 EXP).
"B Rank" "Resourceful seems to hate me. And for that reason I demote it to the average ranking of "B". Although it sounds good on paper, it only seems to drop items for me when I least need them. The drops aren't very common either (unlike I expected), so for the rare chance that something does drop, half the time you're not going to be getting something you wanted. Maybe it's just my bad luck. Use it if you prefer chance and luck to actual skill. I'm going to be replacing this slot with Awareness or Victory Lap most likely.*

Awareness: You can attune yourself to the sounds of enemy movement. Footsteps will come in loud and clear as long as you have Stamina to fuel it. When Stamina runs out, Awareness effects disappear. Unlocked at the rank of Corporal (5,000 EXP).
"C Rank" *If you know how to effectively use it, then feel free, as it DOES drain Stamina. Improper usage would make it far less effective. Also, note that it doesn't work when moving, so it's more suitable for campers and those who enjoy picking off others from afar with sniper rifles.*

Victory Lap: When you achieve a Multi-Kill or better, your normal movement speed will increase to your sprint movement speed and will not cost any Stamina. You will not be able to sprint while this effect is active. If you make a Multi, Ultra, Fantastic, or Unbelievable Kill while the effect is still active, the duration of the effect will be refreshed. This effect resets if you die. Unlocked at the rank of Sergeant (8,700).
"B Rank" *Certainly a niche ability, more for those who are strong mid-fielders and offensive rushers. Would be more effective in the hands of someone like Me or Lorii due to our tendencies to get heavy accolades in exchange for losing a life or two. And wouldn't be AS effective to say Shottymaster or Echo whom like to get scores with fewer deaths in exchange for missing out on a few kill streaks.*

Steady Hand: You have a steady hand, making it easier to aim with a Sniper Rifle, so long as you have the stamina to power it. Unlocked at the rank of Staff Sergeant (8,700).
"A Rank" *If you are a proficient sniper, Steady Hand makes your already decent ability to use a sniper, and boosts it astronomically. A know for a fact a lot of people in our clan would benefit greatly from this. Usually the only thing that would give me a hard time were either very fast moving targets, or peakers. Well, Steady Hand completely destroys peakers. Now just gotta work on that speed issue. Razz *

How to Equip Abilities:
After reaching the required rank, the unlocked Ability will appear in your Inbox. It can then be activated like any other item. For players that are already above the rank of Staff Sergeant, each unlocked Ability will already be in your Inbox, waiting to be activated.

Once you have activated all of your new Abilities they will then reside in your Inventory in a new "Ability" tab.

From your Inventory, you can double-click each Ability and equip a maximum of 3 at one time.

How to use Abilities In-Game:
All of these Abilities, with the exception of Awareness, will be on and active as long as they are equipped in an Ability Slot. When an Ability is in-use, the Ability icon will light up.

To activate Awareness in-game:

1. Equip Awareness to an Ability Slot. As an example, equip it in Ability Slot B.
2. When in-game, simultaneously press ~ + 2. If it were in Slot A, you would press ~ + 1 and for slot 3; ~ + 3.

Get out there and test out your new found abilities! “There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people!”

"PERSONAL LOADOUT"

What I found to work best for me is a combination of "Steady Hand", "Resourceful", and "Specter".

Steady Hand is an absolute MUST for anyone using a sniper rifle. There's 0 sway, meaning quickscoping becomes incredibly dangerous.
Maps where shoulder peakers used to be annoying are pretty much free kills. This Ability is amazing and is definately "A Rank".

Resourceful is pretty situational. Most of the time when I need a drop, it doesn't drop, and when I do desperately need one, it hands me either HP or Ammo when I already had full or plenty. I might replace it with "Awareness" to better counter players abusing the AMAZING Specter. Resourceful is certainly a "niche" Ability, therefore, in my opinion it's only "B Rank".

Specter is by far my favorite. Specter is passive, meaning as long as your not sprinting, you make ZERO sound while running, walking, or crouching. Might not sound so great, but my, my, opposing sound whores HATE you. Without "Awareness", they don't hear you coming, and you get yourself a free kill without taking any damage majority of the time.
From personal experiences, Specter catches people off guard A LOT. Especially if you play maps where stealth is key, especially where you have to be tactical and flank. (Hallow Ravine, Gray Hammer, Sector 25). This is, in my opinion, a solid "A Rank".

Probably going to be switching out Resourceful for Awareness or Victory Lap (most likely Awareness, because the chances of scoring massive accolades against skilled and prepared teams in CW as slim), but that's just MY loadout. What's yours? Smile
PS: I really want to make more use of my map. Maybe a radar ability? Pl0x? Sad

I'll continue to add to this thread as new abilities are released. <3

Last edited by RenKazamaCA on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Steam
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm

I haven't been able to play yet but on paper these seem pretty game-changing and influence the way people play a lot and I'm guessing they're like that in game too. But would you say that they're game-breaking or make Combat Arms what the people complaining call a "kiddy game"? Some of these abilities seem really potent or a bit ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
JohnPwnsYou

JohnPwnsYou

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Resourceful sucks balls IMO. Awareness and Specter combo is boss. If you're not sniping, pitcher is pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

I'll probably end up using Specter and Steady Aim. I'll try out Resourcefulness and awareness to see which suits me more. I find that I don't use soundplay enough so awareness might be better but at the same time, I should be getting in the habit of using soundplay without relying on the abilities right? And I'm worried I won't use awareness at the right times.
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Blahblah677 wrote:
I'll probably end up using Specter and Steady Aim. I'll try out Resourcefulness and awareness to see which suits me more. I find that I don't use soundplay enough so awareness might be better but at the same time, I should be getting in the habit of using soundplay without relying on the abilities right? And I'm worried I won't use awareness at the right times.

I figured out why I was getting so few drops. You only get Med Kits if your actually damaged when you kill another player. Since I'm always hanging around full HP for my first 1 or 2 kills per life, I lower my own chances to get those life savers.
Awareness doesn't work when your moving, so it's pretty much useless for sound whoring unless you enjoy sitting in corners and camping with a sniper.
I still run resourceful for now, but I'm thinking about switching it up to Victory Lap as it really does benefit my playstyle more.
Back to top Go down
Steam
JohnPwnsYou

JohnPwnsYou

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Awareness is useful in clan wars o_o I wanna use victory lap but I really cant get that kill streak going yet so i'm going specter, awareness and pitcher and if I go sniping I switch out pitcher for steady aim. Resourceful isn't nearly useful enough IMO.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Well I always get hurt when I kill someone so resourcefulness might actually work better for me.
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:31 pm

JohnPwnsYou wrote:
Awareness is useful in clan wars o_o I wanna use victory lap but I really cant get that kill streak going yet so i'm going specter, awareness and pitcher and if I go sniping I switch out pitcher for steady aim. Resourceful isn't nearly useful enough IMO.

Your not going to get a solid chance to use it unless it's SnD (which we don't play often). CTF is too fast paced for someone to be sitting still somewhere listening to footsteps. -__-
Back to top Go down
Steam
Caboose

Caboose

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm

This works best for me!! Awareness, Specter, and steady hand!
Back to top Go down
JohnPwnsYou

JohnPwnsYou

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:36 pm

RenKazamaCA wrote:
JohnPwnsYou wrote:

Your not going to get a solid chance to use it unless it's SnD (which we don't play often). CTF is too fast paced for someone to be sitting still somewhere listening to footsteps. -__-

You're* Sorry that was bothering me. Just because we don't play it often doesn't mean we shouldn't ever play it. And I play Elim Pro a lot so that'd help. Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm

I normally don't like 1 life games but as long as TS is lively and I don't watch the game in silence, SnD was actually really fun. And stamina for steady aim drains a bit slower than I thought it would.
Back to top Go down
Shottymaster

Shottymaster

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Specter or whatever it is is totally OP.
Back to top Go down
Echo
Leader
Echo

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure Abilities are locked off in clan wars

And the med kits resourceful drops heals 100 hp
Back to top Go down
Steam https://deadpixel.rpg-board.net
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Those med kits helped me a bunch sometimes. They don't always drop but when they do I can see how they're a big problem. Went from >20 HP to 100 in an instant.
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Echo wrote:

No, the abilities are toggle. You can turn them on or off. Smile
Back to top Go down
Steam
Elk

Elk

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Victory lap would be very useful for me.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:13 pm

RenKazamaCA wrote:
Echo wrote:

That's in regular pubs but I'm sure in Clanwars they're locked off, much like how FF is locked on, join mid game is locked off, and kill cam is locked off.
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Blahblah677 wrote:
RenKazamaCA wrote:

That's in regular pubs but I'm sure in Clanwars they're locked off, much like how FF is locked on, join mid game is locked off, and kill cam is locked off.

No, you're wrong. You can toggle it for preference. <3

Last edited by RenKazamaCA on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steam
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:50 pm

You can toggle the abilities even in clanwars? Wut?
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Yep. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steam
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Spector and steady hands are what's working for me right now. Dunno what for 3rd lol. Prolly resourceful.

This is pretty much like COD games with all these abilities. Abilities = perks
Spector = ninja and so on...
Back to top Go down
Caboose

Caboose

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Does that mean Nexon is trying to copy COD perks?
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am

Caboose wrote:
Does that mean Nexon is trying to copy COD perks?

At least the Combat Arms ones are able to be toggled.
If you don't like em' (or if they start to get too out of hand in the future) we can just turn them off.
So far they aren't that game breaking.. let's hope newer ones keep this level of relative balance.

Last edited by RenKazamaCA on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steam
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Well Shotty seems to think that Specter is OP, and I'm fine with it. But then again I'm the one who runs around looking for people instead of listening to sound most of the time... But I can see how it can be a challenge to people who heavily rely on listening to their surroundings.
Back to top Go down
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I've always tried to crouch/walk when attempting to sneak up on better players anyways. All specter really does for ME is give that a little more mobility (because you can STILL hear the footsteps if your listening VERY carefully) in exchange for one of my ability slots.

I think once newer abilities are added, Specter is probably going to drop in usage.
The only reason it's getting so much usage now is because we only have a handful of abilities and Awareness (it's designated "counter-ability") isn't really all that useful.
Until Awareness get's buffed or changed so you can use it while on the move, it won't be much use either.
Back to top Go down
Steam
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Abilities System   New Abilities System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Abilities System
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next